Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Outlook/HTML "proggie"

From: spepper () WLU CA (Shelagh Pepper)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:45:09 -0400

My point is that a lot of users (here at least) always click YES. In
addition, a number of users, tired of getting the warning messages, change
their security settings to avoid the warning messages, in which case it IS
transparent to the user. For example, my script ran on a Help Desk
technician's PC with no warning messages at all!

I do agree that for a lot (the majority?) of users, you might as well have
a vbs script attached. We were hit pretty hard by the IxxxxYOU   (key word
not spelled out to avoid all the postmaster mail I got yesterday) script,
and only a few days later users happily let my script run, so I don't
believe the warning messages provide much security, at least not here.

BTW, methodman's script is not effective if you have installed Microsoft's
patch for the "SCR" vulnerability , originally posted: August 31, 1999
see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms99-032.asp

Shelagh