Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Another new worm???

From: jjd () QUEBIX NET (~jim)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:25:23 -0400

Dan Schrader had the following thoughts:
/*
 * Thank you
 *
 * You have no provided the virus to 40,000 people who have nothing in common
 * except that they are interested in security.  Go to usenet and you will find
 * dozens of posts from virus writers and vx wannabes asking for viruses to
 * play with - you answered their prayers.
 *
 */

  And this is a bad thing?  IMHO hiding from or ignoring a problem does
  not make it go away.  The only way to prevent the damage that these
  viruses cause is to have some type of understanding of how they work in
  the first place.  Source code is a good thing -- believe me, for every
  "writer" out there reading the code, there's at least twenty others
  using it to come up with antivirus scripts or mail filters.

/*
 * This virus has already been extensively analyzed  - there was no need to
 * spread it further.
 *
 */

  In security there is no such thing as "overanalysis," also, last I
  checked sending a link to a web site doesn't necessarily spread a virus.

/*
 * In the future if you wish to have a file analyzed, send to known, trusted
 * experts or send to one or more of the antivirus vendors.  Trend Micro will
 * analyze unsolicated files if you send them to:
 *
 * virus_doctor () trendmicro com
 *
 */

  Is this a complaint or a plug?

/*
 * Dan Schrader
 * Trend Micro
 * www.antivirus.com
 *
 *
 */

 ~jim

| jjday@ebixquay.etnay  |  icq: 77108543  |  http://quebix.net/~jjd |
\-=-=-=-=[ "We are the people our parents warned us about" ]=-=-=-=-/

| This is the UNIX version of the LoveBug virus. Please forward this |
| message to everyone you know, then delete a random selection of    |
| critically important files from your system. Thank you.            |