Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: N2H2 Web Proxy/Filter appliance

From: 11a () GMX NET (Bluefish)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:14:36 +0200

Well, as upon the question of "will it stop high school kids"? Remember
that people (quite possibly people in this and other mailinglists)
sometimes get bored and develops proof-of-concept code.

It only takes someone to take the p-o-c and put it on some page about
"elite" & "warez", and suddenly all the kids are surfing porn like hell.
Most likely a lot of them are doing in just to show off as well ;)

Then I would not like being the administrator having to explain why to the
boss (I assume the boss to be rather ignorant of technology). So I'd
advise administrators to recommend their employer not to install such a
feature, or make sure both parties are well aware that the software is
broken (as any such software would be).

It's usually very good to make it clear that you can't be held
responsible for bugs you fear/know will be exploited. In this case you
can't get away with the standarized "hackers did it" if you got tons of
kids doing it. Just a mere warning from someone who's had to explain to
someone important "I can't fix this because not even the vendor knows how
to fix it". Not everyone happily accepts the facts of life (= murphys laws
etc ;)

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team