Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: The AOL Spyware

From: info () SAFER-HEX COM (info)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:12:04 +0200

Also sprach Mikael Olsson um 20:53 Uhr +0200 am 08.07.2000:

Yes. I think someone should sniff some traffic and try to parse it
(or post it) so that we can see what happens. Who knows, it could
concevably be something as innocent as "check for new versions of
smart download", but then again, it may not :-P

(So let's not cry foul until we see what it's doing. It hurts
 the security community if we do)

For hyper-references, please visit http://www.safer-hex.com/

2000/07/11/10.45

AOL/Netscape spies on surfers

According to a tecChannel feature article, the functions
"SmartDownload" and "Search," both new in Netscapes browser versions
4.7.x, protocol downloads and search queries and transfer these to
Netscape, a subsidiary of AOL. The transfer includes file names,
search terms and the user's email address without any user consent.

Primary benefit of SmartDownload is, that it can continue an
interrupted download after the connection has dropped. Right after a
download starts, SmartDownload sends a packet to "cgi.netscape.com".
Included is the file name and the server address, from where it is
being loaded. The user's IP address is also transfered. Is the user
registered for Netscape's "Netcenter," the email address is also
transfered. Also the name of the local machine and the operating
system is revealed to AOL/Netscape.

Netscape's search function goes even further: it logs what the user
is searching and where he finally finds it. In combination with the
downloads information, a Netscape user turns almost completely into a
transparent surfer, especially, when these informations include the
email address. This makes the data extremely interesting to
advertising companies. These could bury the user in spam messages
without providing a clue how they compiled the information.

regards,

Dre.

--

jrpamc wd-iis : internet information services
a  jrpamc press agency media consult  company

http://www.safer-hex.de : tagesaktuelle Infos
     über Computer- und online-Sicherheit, und
http://www.dvd-aktuell.de : alles rund um En-
     tertainment in digitaler Qualität im Kino
     und auf DVD zuhause.