Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: The AOL Spyware

From: mikael.olsson () ENTERNET SE (Mikael Olsson)
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:53:09 +0200

Masial wrote:

SmartDownload would be a software that helps you manage your internet
downloads (all of them),

Ahhh I was confusing it with smartupgrade... Sorry 'bout that,
everyone, my bad.

so it would know EVERY file you download from the
net. If you are to download pam03.mpg or prostate.pdf, AOL would know.  Or
so does the article seem to claim. I find this somewhat disturbing. Question
is, whats its exact behaviour?

Yes. I think someone should sniff some traffic and try to parse it
(or post it) so that we can see what happens. Who knows, it could
concevably be something as innocent as "check for new versions of
smart download", but then again, it may not :-P

(So let's not cry foul until we see what it's doing. It hurts
 the security community if we do)

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46 (0)660 29 92 00         Direct: +46 (0)660 29 92 05