Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: procmail / Sendmail - five bugs

From: 3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU (3APA3A)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:33:48 +0300

Hello Gregory,

lcamtuf>> # maximum number of children we allow at one time
lcamtuf>> O MaxDaemonChildren=15

GNS> Yes, MaxDaemonChildren will avoid this sort of denial of service attack.
GNS> However, the fact that sendmail buffers up commands after a remote side
GNS> drops its connection is a bug.  This bug will be fixed in the next 8.10.0
GNS> beta release.

 O MaxDaemonChildren=15 will avoid system crash and host rebooting but
 not  sendmail  DoS,  because  sendmail will not accept any connection
 until  "frozen" child processes will be killed. The best way to avoid
 this vulnerability is to switch off ETRN feature by
 O PrivacyOptions=noetrn

--
Best regards,
 3APA3A