Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Administrivia #4883 (fwd)

From: jms () NEGATION NET (jason storm)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:39:53 -0800

recently discoverd that flowpoint dsl routers by default do not limit the
number of attempts you can have at entering a password to get logged in.
To my knowledge, (I've not finished reading the manual yet) there's no
option to turn this default behavior off, though I cannot verify this.
With a simple perl script, someone could simply hammer away at the
flowpoint routers until they find a combination of characters that works.
There's no point in saying what kind of security risk this is, I think

depending on the version OS your flowpoint runs, you can limit what ip's
can telnet in using the filter command.  if you apply that feature
correctly, you effectively prohibit brute forcing the router pw.  treat it
like cisco's access-list's retarded little brother and you wont be too
disapointed.

word to burger,
jason storm