Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: distributed.net and seti@home

From: fygrave () EPR0 ORG (CyberPsychotic)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:00:17 +0500

~:
~:I have seen many reports of insecurities of ICQ, and while this is A Good
~:Thing, a program that would likely be in use on more computers is
~:distributed.net's rc5 (or other) programs, or seti@home's client. They are
~:often installed by default on server farms, lab machines, as well as
~:countless home machines.
~:
~:Has anyone taken a close look at these programs? I sure haven't. It might be
~:a good thing to check on... :)
~:

 Yeah, I never had trust to them either, particualary because they don't
distribute the source code (at least the didn't last time I checked) along
with the binaries which makes the auditing somewhat cumbersome :)