Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: distributed.net and seti@home

From: robertw () WOJO COM (Robert Wojciechowski Jr.)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:58:19 -0500

If the clients contact the server, the only way to exploit the clients is to
make the client contact your own server I suppose.

This could be done via changing DNS records manually on a upstream DNS
server, a hacked client, an entry in the hosts file, etc.  The all require
pretty much elevated access to the network (admin status) or the computer,
in which case you don't have to use the distributed clients to hack into the
machine.

I think it is possible in some cases to insert a DNS cache entry into a DNS
server manually, and you can fool all the clients that use that DNS server
to contact your own server.  Then you could send custom packets back to the
client to overflow it, etc.

That's about all I can think about right now.  It's the weekend, and I am
going to be lazy ;)

- Robert