Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: how to transfer files on napster

From: jpr5 () BOS BINDVIEW COM (Jordan Ritter)
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 23:57:12 -0500

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Blue Boar wrote:

# Depends on whether you were trying to keep people solely from giving
# access to other files on accident, or if you were trying to keep
# people from trading other types of warez intentionally.

I don't think the intention is relevant.  This isn't a "security concern";
there is no risk to guard against.

Regardless, you can trick any piece of software once you control the
environment, and for this particular characteristic, with no real risk
involved, there is just no measurable value in spending any time
developing Napster to prevent it.

Besides, 99.9% of folks out there will sooner load up their favorite FTP
client than stego an MP3 file with their favorite warez in a hex editor.
The thought that anyone cares about this, or further that this might be
worth something of value, is absurd to me.

Now my real concern here is that some irresponsible news reporter (hi
C|Net) doesn't once again misunderstand the implications of this and hype
it as something it's not, as they are generally inclined to do.

--jordan