Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: More on ARP cache poisoning

From: ron () GWMICRO COM (Ron Parker)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:06:45 -0500

At 02:29 PM 2/2/2000 GMT, Bryce Walter wrote:
For remote hosts, the computer is going to arp for the defualt gateway
instead of the destination IP.  If you poisoned the ARP cache for the entry
of the default gateway, all packets for any remote computers would be sent
to you.  This would probably be noticed pretty quickly when nothing seems to
"work" on the target computer.  You could try to avoid this by enabling
routing on your box to get the packets that you don't care about to their
real desinations.

Having just fallen victim to the bad router configuration of a clueless
"administrator" who happens to have the same DSL provider as I do, I can
testify that the similar but slightly different attack outlined in
http://www.l0pht.com/advisories/rdp.txt will work quite well, too, at
least against Win98 boxes. It may even work without DHCP being enabled
on the target machine, as I don't believe it is enabled on the machine
on which I saw the bad behavior.

My DSL provider (GTE) uses Fujitsu Speedport modems and other hardware;
your mileage may vary.

--
Ron Parker
GW Micro, Inc.