Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: More on ARP cache poisoning

From: brycewalter () HOTMAIL COM (Bryce Walter)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:29:33 GMT

For remote hosts, the computer is going to arp for the defualt gateway
instead of the destination IP.  If you poisoned the ARP cache for the entry
of the default gateway, all packets for any remote computers would be sent
to you.  This would probably be noticed pretty quickly when nothing seems to
"work" on the target computer.  You could try to avoid this by enabling
routing on your box to get the packets that you don't care about to their
real desinations.

I tried to see if it would be possible to poison the ARP cache of my
machine
(Solaris 2.6) so that it contained an Ether address of a local machine, but
the IP address of a machine outside my network (prep.ai.mit.edu, for
example).

I didn't work.  Not with the 'poink' program nor with 'arp -s <host>
<ether>'.  The ARP cache in Solaris anyway is smart enough to not take
entries for remote networks.  Maybe someone else can try on Linux and other
platforms.  I will try under HP-sUX when I get a chance.

So, this pretty much makes moot hijacking the SETI download, etc.  You can
ony use the ARP poison to redirect connections _within_ or LAN.

If anybody finds a way around this, please post the solution.

-- Shawn