Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Napster a little insecure?

From: Ken.Williams () EY COM (Ken Williams)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:16:13 -0600

The real concern is that anybody, including music industry lawyers and law enforcement officials, can download Napster
and find out exactly who is "distributing" or "stealing" copyrighted music.  This is the anonymity factor that makes
this situation very different from simple FTP or HTTP requests that you send out and receive.  Of course, if you're not
allowing anybody to access any copyrighted music that you might legally possess, then you have nothing to worry about

Proxied sessions are not really an answer either, in this case, for people concerned about their anonymity - you need
bandwidth to transfer large amounts of data in a timely fashion.

- kw

m_a_n_i_a_c_ () HOTMAIL COM on 01/31/2000 01:08:38 AM

Please respond to m_a_n_i_a_c_ () HOTMAIL COM@Internet