Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Naptha - New DoS

From: White Vampire <whitevampire () mindless com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 02:44:23 -0500

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 06:49:12PM +0100, Carl-Johan Bostorp(ctor () krixor xy org) wrote:
Hmm.. Maybe I didn't read it close enough, but isn't what it does that it
just opens a bunch of TCP connections w/o keeping a local state?? ... The
only new thing I see is that it's been implemented and publicized.. But it
doesn't really matter..

        It involves some 'spoofing' too, so to speak.  So the
originating host does not complete the handshake, thus not being
affected.

        Regardless, I am not really sure what the problem is.  So what
if it is an old concept.  So what if it has been discussed to death.  Is
this not worth fixing?  This is /not/ a good thing.

I never mentioned inetd. Use xinetd as wrapper for other daemons like ssh
and you no longer have to worry about ssh being attacked.

        Ah, my error.

Regards,
--
   /  \    /  \   \ /   / White Vampire\Rem