Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug, possible hole in nslookup, various operating systems

From: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf () CAMPUS IZTACALA UNAM MX>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:55:47 -0600

I found a strange behavior in the nslookup command, and was able to
reproduce it in several different platforms. I do not have deep knowledge
of the inner working of nslookup, but the message I got seemed a bit
suspicious, and I decided to report it before someone can find a way to
exploit it.

nslookup has 755 permissions on all machines I've seen, so I'm not sure
what the danger is....  You thinking of something in the kernel?

I lack enough knowledge to tell if this is or not potentially
dangerous... I only know this is not the expected behavior - it is a bug,
and bugs potentially can become holes.

What I am doing is very simple - too simple, maybe. I run nslookup in
interactive mode, and send ^C while it is waiting for my text.

Just to add a new platform:

IRIX 6.5.6m is not vulnerable

Good, thank you!

           Gunnar Wolf    gwolf () campus iztacala unam mx
     Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Iztacala
   Jefatura de Sección de Desarrollo y Admon. de Sistemas en Red
       Departamento de Seguridad en Computo - DGSCA - UNAM