Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug, possible hole in nslookup, various operating systems

From: Damian Menscher <menscher () uiuc edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:54:19 -0600

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

I found a strange behavior in the nslookup command, and was able to
reproduce it in several different platforms. I do not have deep knowledge
of the inner working of nslookup, but the message I got seemed a bit
suspicious, and I decided to report it before someone can find a way to
exploit it.

nslookup has 755 permissions on all machines I've seen, so I'm not sure
what the danger is....  You thinking of something in the kernel?

What I am doing is very simple - too simple, maybe. I run nslookup in
interactive mode, and send ^C while it is waiting for my text.

Just to add a new platform:

IRIX 6.5.6m is not vulnerable

Damian Menscher
--