Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Reachout 8.4x

From: crispin () WIREX COM (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 19:25:45 +0000

Alex Martin wrote:

I am a little curious why these companies don't use Diffie-Hellman to
generate a session key for use with tripleDES or IDEA or ... and encrypt
*eveyrthing*, saving themselves a lot of hassle in the meantime.

Does anyone have reasons why this hasn't been done? (And if Symantec et
al do wish to implement it, could they give me some royalties? :)

As I know Diffie-Hellman protocol has royalties.

Diffie-Hellman was patented, but that patent expired in 1997.  DH is now
royalty-free.

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com