Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Window manager - implementation bug/feature ???

From: eparker () MINDSEC COM (Erik Parker)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:06:34 -0600

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Michael Jennings wrote:

On Thursday, 07 October 1999, at 11:01:55 (-0600),
Erik Parker wrote:

However, /dev/hdc is not his CDrom unless his primary hard drive is
SCSI, and his cdrom is primary IDE.. then I can understand
that.. but it doesn't sound like that is the case.. sounds like the
user when the login has access to everything on that drive.

According to hd(4):

       Hd*  are  block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives
       in raw mode.  The master drive on  the  primary  IDE  conĀ­
       troller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is
       hdb.  The master drive of  the  second  controller  (major
       device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd.

So if he has two IDE hard drives on his primary controller and an IDE
CD-ROM on his second controller (as my home machine does), his first
HD will be /dev/hda, his second will be /dev/hdb, and his CD-ROM will
be /dev/hdc.  I don't see a problem with having read-write access to a
read-only device....  :-)

Michael

Doh.. Very true.. I am unsure of why exactly I was thinking hdc was
primary Ide.. Not sure why I was thinking that..

But still, unless I missed it, he never said that WAS his cd-rom..
Even though most OEM machines come with CDROM on master secondary (hdc)..

That would be normal operations I suppose..

Erik Parker
eparker () mindsec com