Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Window manager - implementation bug/feature ???

From: cmw32 () CAM AC UK (Chris Wilson)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:28:55 +0100

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:

Hi,

I noticed something interesting which I am not sure whether it is the way things should be.

I have installed Redhat 6.0 for Intel with KDE (this works for Gnome too).
--------------------------------
[> [root@localhost mithun]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.5-15 #1 Mon Apr 19 21:39:28 EDT 1999 i686 unknown
[> [root@localhost mithun]# rpm -q kdebase
kdebase-1.1.1pre2-2
--------------------------------
Next I created a non-priviledged user "mithun" using useradd and logged in using that userid.

After this I do a su to change to root and fire up X-windows. Now I open a Kconsole and do
ls -l /dev | grep mithun
and this is what I get (I get somthing simillar in case of Gnome too - I haven't checked AnotherLevel for this)
----------------------------
crw-------   1 mithun   sys       14,   4 Apr 18 01:23 audio
crw-------   1 mithun   sys       14,  20 Apr 18 01:23 audio1
crw-------   1 mithun   sys       14,   3 Apr 18 01:23 dsp
crw-------   1 mithun   sys       14,  19 Apr 18 01:23 dsp1

<snip>

This is normal behaviour under Red Hat *ONLY* when you log in physically
to the machine (i.e. from the console). Red Hat assumes that normal users
who are sitting in front of the machine will want to play CDs, use audio,
etc. without having to become root. This increases security, because
people don't need the root password to play CDs anymore. It doesn't happen
if you log in remotely by telnet.

For more details, man console.perms and console.apps, and check the fiels
listed by rpm -ql pam.

Ciao, Chris.
 / __// / ,__(_)_  [ Chris Wilson - <gcc () i am> - Mobile: 07803 503 222 ]
/ (_ / ,\/ _/ /_ \ | A man can forgive the world for being normal, but |
\ _//_/_/_//_/___/ [ the world cannot forgive him for being different. ]