Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: icq accounts

From: sven () DEVNULL VIP BR (Sven E. van 't Veer)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:38:23 +0000

From what I have seen, hacks exist to allow you to add a user and get their
real IP regardless of what their settings are as long as you know some
criteria to search on which will yield their ICQ number. ICQ versions up to
the latest one are vulnerable.

Hello everybody...

I have a question about icq and I think you'll have a word or two to say
about it.

By now, I know that someone with the suitable software can enter  any
unprotected icq account

and get the authorization to add their names to their contact list easily...

But I don't know if any hacker can do this on anyone's icq account :

In a white page search, allow only the off-line icq users to be displayed
and

prevent the on-line icq users from being displayed at the end of the
search......

Can a hacker do that kind of a thing?

Are there any web sites that give information about such issues?

I use LICQ on my linuxbox and it lets me add any user I want without asking for
authorization, sure it gives me the option to ask for authorization if I really
want to, but it's not needed.

I can also send messages spoofing the UIN. I can Query the OS of the user do a a
finger, lookup hostname.

I don't use these options much, anyway it does hardly as good a job as nmap, so I
guess you don't have to be a hacker to do these things.

Sven

--
Sven E. van 't Veer, llm.
Departamento de Desenvolvimento