Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: development of wordpad exploit

From: BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM (Blue Boar)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:45:28 -0800

Witold Chrabaszcz wrote:

This does indeed seem to have generated a lot of interest.  I guess this
is a good indication that at least some of us on this list, despite having
a decent background in programming and a fair understanding of various
security issues are in the dark as to how various bugs/oversights are
exploited.  This includes me as well.

Indeed.  I think most of this is due to a widespread lack of expertise on
how to do overflow exploits in Windows.  I expect this to improve in the
near future.  I'm aware of a number of projects to help improve this, and
of course I expect to use this forum for that as well.

So, I expect we'll have a round or two of what a stack looks like, how to
control various registers, where to jump in memory, etc..  Mostly in the
context of Windows.

In a year's time, this information will probably be considered to widely
known to warrant going over it here, but I think it's a good fit now.

Folks who are AGAINST discussing Windows overflow basics here because
they'd be wildly bored hashing over something they already know, mail me
privately.  I'll use that as a sort of voting mechanism.

As background info, folks should check out http://www.rootkit.com

                                                        BB