Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: vlock bug ? (fwd)

From: tmolina () HOME COM (Thomas Molina)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:01:18 -0600

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Hull, Dave wrote:

I can duplicate this behavior on my RH 6.0 machine. I'm running 2.2.13. When
it prompts for root's password it won't accept it, but after that it goes
back to asking for the user's password, entering the wrong one again causes
it to ask again for root's password...

[> > >[marcys@pentium marcys]$ vlock
This TTY is now locked.
Use Alt-function keys to switch to other virtual consoles.
Please enter the password to unlock.
marcys's Password:         [invalid passwd typed here]
root's Password:           [valid MARCYS's passwd typed]
[> > >[marcys@pentium marcys]$

On my RH 6.1 machine, running 2.3.28 and vlock 1.3-2 I get:
[[garbage@wr5z garbage]$ vlock
This TTY is now locked.
Use Alt-function keys to switch to other virtual consoles.
Please enter the password to unlock.
garbage's Password:
root's Password:
 *** That password is incorrect; please try again. ***

and an authentication failure in /var/log/messages