tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for new LINKTYPE_* code LINKTYPE_AUERSWALD_LOG

From: developer--- via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 09:25:22 +0000

--- Begin Message --- From: "developer () auerswald de" <developer () auerswald de>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 09:25:22 +0000

Ideally, you would have a document somewhere that would describe your capture
format.  We might want to review the format.

I would be able to

I would note that if you are just adding logging, and you just want to use
pcapng, that you might store your ethernet captures as normal EN10B, and your
logging in a new LINKTYPE_, which was specific to your log format.
In pcapng, you can mix different LINKTYPEs, in a single file.
(But, not in pcap, which is/was a major reason pcapng was designed)

This is exactly what we do, beside of one exception:
Our log format does contain a "content ID" to allow for future updates and different structures to be transportet
within the same format.
One of the content types we have specified is SIP packages. Since SIP is frequently encrypted and we do not want to
break the encryption of the customer we insert decrypted SIP messages as a separate element to allow for better
debugging of encrypted connections. Since we did not find a suitable LINKTYPE_ for the information we have available
when logging, we decided to include these as a internal content ID which however is mapped to SIP with the information
available to allow for further processing.

Then you can ideally follow:

 https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/blob/master/doc/DLT_ALLOCATE_HOWTO.md

send a pull request.

We are happy to do so as soon as the dissector is uploaded to github as well.

We plan to release the dissector on github as soon as we have the ID to update the code with the proper ID. The
dissector contains some documentation already, beside that we can release the C structs that define the format elements.
Since we plan to potentially include more elements in the future, we decided to use a format where we can just assign a
new internal content ID for each update to the structures.

Best regards

Frank Gorgas-Waller

--- End Message ---