tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for new LINKTYPE_* code LINKTYPE_AUERSWALD_LOG

From: Michael Richardson via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 14:34:12 -0500

--- Begin Message --- From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 14:34:12 -0500

developer--- via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:
    > We would like to request a dedicated LINKTYPE_* / DLT_* code.
    > Auerswald is a major German telecommunications equipment manufacturer.
    > We have implemented the option to capture (combined) network traffic
    > and logging information as pcap/pcapng in our soon to be released new
    > product line.

    > For development, we so far have used LINKTYPE_USER0 and would like to
    > change this to a proper code before the commercial release.

    > We also plan to publicly release the dissector and would like to make
    > sure both can be released with a proper code from the get go.  The
    > dissector we currently use is however only in lua.

    > Our preferred name would be LINKTYPE_AUERSWALD_LOG

That sounds great.
Ideally, you would have a document somewhere that would describe your capture
format.  We might want to review the format.

I would note that if you are just adding logging, and you just want to use
pcapng, that you might store your ethernet captures as normal EN10B, and your
logging in a new LINKTYPE_, which was specific to your log format.
In pcapng, you can mix different LINKTYPEs, in a single file.
(But, not in pcap, which is/was a major reason pcapng was designed)

Then you can ideally follow:

  https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/blob/master/doc/DLT_ALLOCATE_HOWTO.md

send a pull request.

    > If anyone is interested we can provide further information.

Best regards

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--- End Message ---