tcpdump mailing list archives

Capturing external packets sent to loopback (FreeBSD) ?

From: Ray Bellis via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 09:15:41 -0500 (EST)

--- Begin Message --- From: Ray Bellis <ray () bellis me uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 14:16:30 +0000
I've got a daemon that listens on a virtual IP address, that is itself
attached to a cloned loopback interface on FreeBSD.

Packets for that daemon could be arriving from multiple physical
interfaces, and that's what's taxing me just now.

I would -really- like to be able to process those packets without
needing a per-interface thread or process (or other code changes) but it
seems FreeBSD (and Linux FWIW) will only capture packets on that
loopback IP that also -originated- on the loopback.

Does anyone know of any magic trick I can invoke that'll reveal those
packets?

cheers,

Ray

--- End Message ---