tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Capturing external packets sent to loopback (FreeBSD) ?

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:53:41 -0500 (EST)

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 09:54:31 -0800
On Feb 24, 2020, at 6:15 AM, Ray Bellis via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

I've got a daemon that listens on a virtual IP address, that is itself
attached to a cloned loopback interface on FreeBSD.

What do you mean by "loopback" here?  The term "loopback interface" generally means "fake interface that sends packets
from the machine to itself" on UN*Xes, e.g. the lo0 interface on most UN*Xes or just lo on Linux.  Is that the type of
interface on which you're capturing?

If so...

Packets for that daemon could be arriving from multiple physical
interfaces, and that's what's taxing me just now.

I would -really- like to be able to process those packets without
needing a per-interface thread or process (or other code changes) but it
seems FreeBSD (and Linux FWIW) will only capture packets on that
loopback IP that also -originated- on the loopback.

...why would packets be delivered on the loopback interface if they arrived on a physical interface?

--- End Message ---