tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New official link-layer type request

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 13:38:21 -0700

On May 12, 2019, at 1:28 PM, Damir Franusic <damir.franusic () gmail com> wrote:

I've tried to be as prompt and as accurate as possible so here is the draft, I hope you'll appreciate the effort. I
agree
that the initial thing I sent was an abomination. I will work on this draft as the project progresses, but for now,
it covers
everything implemented so far.

http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?url=http://socket.hr/draft-dfranusic-elee-00.xml&modeAsFormat=html/ascii

So a packet with the requested new LINKTYPE_ value would consist of an ELEE header, followed by an ELEE PDU, and that's
it?

We could then just have the entry on the tcpdump.org link-layer header types point to the draft, so that if you add new
PDU types, the draft will be updated. If the draft ends up being published as an official I-D, we could point to that
and, if it becomes an RFC, point to that.