tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Update configure for libpcap

From: Dagobert Michelsen <dam () opencsw org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:23:31 +0200

Hi,

Am 12.07.2018 um 12:07 schrieb Jan Stary <hans () stare cz>:
On Jul 11 10:27:50, gharris () sonic net wrote:
I would *personally* prefer that we not have generated configure files in Git and require that autoconf be run (or,
if it needs to be run with particular arguments, supply an autopen.sh file and require that it be run); if anybody
has an argument against it, let us know.

The ./configure script does need to be generated in the first place.
I would very much preffer we have a simple, hand-written ./configure,
and avoid the GNU auto* hell altogether, much like e.g. the extremely
portable http://mandoc.bsd.lv/ does.

As a non-Linux distro maintainer (OpenCSW for Solaris) I can tell you that
„hand-written“ configure scripts are the worst you can get as every
package then uses a different approach and it takes a lot of time to
figure out the standard things like compiler selection, flags for preprocessor,
compiler and linker, install relocation, etc. - if this is taken cared of at all.
I don’t say autotools is perfect, by far it is not, but it is a standard and
you need to figure out stuff only once and then reuse it for all packages that
use this tool. I personally maintain ~1600 packages, with manually written
configure scripts this would just not be doable.

Just my 0,02€, there may be more important reasons to change the configure
mechanism, but for me autotools works pretty good for most of the upstream
software I package. Maybe adjusting the configure.ac to be more flexible is
a netter approach than reinvfenting the wheel once again.

Best regards

  — Dago