tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Update configure for libpcap

From: Ali Abdulkadir <autostart.ini () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 08:58:04 +0300

I was on my phone. I should have been more specific. With ‘ANSI compiler check’ I meant the AC_LBL_FIXINCLUDES m4 macro.
I can’t succeed because there isn’t a sys/ioctl.h on win32.
AC_PROG_CC_C99, however, works fine with MInGW.

Can automake be used with non-GPLed software?

To quote from the docs:
“Automake places no restrictions on the distribution of the resulting Makefile.ins. We still encourage software authors
to distribute their work under terms like those of the GPL, but doing so is not required to use Automake.
Some of the files that can be automatically installed via the --add-missing switch do fall under the GPL. However,
these also have a special exception allowing you to distribute them with your package, regardless of the licensing you
choose.”
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Distributing

libtool has its own idea of how to name shared library files, so we'd have to work around that

That shouldn’t be a problem. You could link with “-version-info YOUR_OWN_VERSION_STRING_HERE” to hand libtool your
preferred version string. You would add that to pcap_la_LDFLAGS in your Makefile.am.