tcpdump mailing list archives

RFC Almost trivial unused-parameter patch (and lots of questions)

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 19:41:23 +0200

Hello,

attached a patch with the almost trivial fixes for -Wunused-paramter warnings.

The reason I'm sending this as a mail is, that while the patches look trivial
I'm not sure that they are always the correct approach:

- Why was envp[] part of the main() declaration?
- Is adding varattrs.h to rpcapd/rpcapd.c the correct approach to add _U_?
- IMO with these silenced, we can add the warning to devel.

The remaining warnings need someone with better understanding of the code to fix:

- rpcapd/daemon.c:1538:183: warning: unused parameter 'samp_param' could be silenced
  by removing it, or by removing the #if 0 around "// Apply sampling parameters"
- bpf/net/bpf_filter.c:214:61: warning: unused parameter 'aux_data' led to the
  following questions:
  + Is it correct to assume that neither KERNEL nor _KERNEL will be defined anymore?
  + Is it correct to assume that SKF_AD_VLAN_TAG will be defined if
    SKF_AD_VLAN_TAG_PRESENT is defined?
  + Is it correct that the sequence "ANCILLARY(VLAN_TAG);ANCILLARY(VLAN_TAG_PRESENT);"
    doesn't make too much sense, once the "break;" at the end of the macro is expanded?
  + ==> This file looks like it is containing a bit of no longer needed code.
- pcap-rpcap.c:837:81: warning: unused parameter 'mode' also led to some questions:
  + Why is pcap_stats_ex_rpcap() limited to win32?
  + Does it make sense to have REMOTE as a compile time flag? In case it does:
  + Does it make sense to check for REMOTE in pcap-rpcap.c?

Kind regards
   Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>