tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for link-layer header type (XRA)

From: Bruno Verstuyft <bruno.verstuyft () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 10:02:04 +0100

On Dec 1, 2017, at 3:34 AM, Bruno Verstuyft <bruno.verstuyft () gmail com>
wrote:

Type 75 is still labeled as "ODMA REQ" rather than "OFDMA REQ".  Also,
it
says "ODMA REQ (75): as described by section 7.4.8 "REQ Messages" of the
DOCSIS 3.1 Physical Layer Specification. This is the "REQ message in
MAC"
in figure 7-11 (56 bits).", but I don't see a figure numbered 7-11 in
the
DOCSIS 3.1 Physical Layer Specification (CM-SP-PHYv3.1-I12-171026) - is
this from another version of that document?

Apparently, the figure had number 7-11 in version I11 of the PHY spec,
and
is figure number 14 in version I12 of the spec. I updated the number to
14,
to reflect the number in the more recent spec. I also added references to
the DOCSIS MULPI and PHY specification version numbers, to avoid
confusion
in the future.

Figure 14 shows how it's generated, but the surrounding text doesn't say
what the content is; it just says "REQ messages are short messages used by
the CM to request transmission opportunities from the CMTS. These messages
have a different structure than the data messages: they are always 56 bits
long, they always use QPSK modulation, do not apply any FEC and are block
interleaved."

What do the 56 bits in question contain?  Are they one of the -REQ
messages described in the DOCSIS 3.1 MAC and Upper Layer Protocols
Interface Specification, or are they something else?

These are the Queue-depth Based Request Frames described in the MULPI
spec. Changed the reference from the section in the PHY spec to the section
in the MULPI spec.