tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT_ request

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 22:33:51 -0800

On Jan 5, 2017, at 9:59 PM, Scott Deandrea <sdeandrea () apple com> wrote:

The ioLength for a submitted request will the the amount of data requested in the data stage.

So, for a submitted request on the Default Control Pipe, the ioLength won't be 8 for the setup data, it'll be the
maximum amount of data requested?

The ioLength for a completed request will be the actual amount of data transferred in the data stage.

So, at least for a non-isochronous endpoint, it *should* be equal to the amount of payload, i.e. on-the-wire length
minus link-layer header length?

Is there any reason to check that?  Or should we just trust the on-the-wire length (and captured length, for bounds
checking), when dissecting the payload?

What about an isochronous endpoint?  I'm guessing it won't be equal to the total number of bytes of isochronous headers
plus frame data plus padding.

Just to note, it may be acceptable for a device to send less than the amount requested so the values may differ
between a submit and a complete.  For example, a usb ethernet driver could always perform reads of MTU sizes but the
actual amount read will usually be less.

So the submitted request will have an ioLength reflecting the MTU, and the completed request will have an ioLength
reflecting the actual packet size.  That's not unexpected.