tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT_ request

From: Scott Deandrea <sdeandrea () apple com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:15:44 -0800

Yes, that's the behavior I have implemented in Wireshark and our internal tools.

--scott

On Jan 5, 2017, at 8:52 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Jan 5, 2017, at 8:48 PM, Scott Deandrea <sdeandrea () apple com> wrote:

The mach absolute time base is different between ARM and x86/x64 though developers won’t have access to packet
capture on iOS devices (internally the packet capture is used on iOS devices).  The developers that would be using
this software capture are familiar with the Mach Absolute Time format as it is the same values returned by the real
software stack so I don’t see any need to change the format to nanoseconds.

...so a Wireshark dissector, or tcpdump printer, for these packets would presumably just show the time stamps as a
raw 64-bit value, without any interpretation, and leave it up to the person reading the capture to interpret it.