tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT request for SDLC (BITBUS)

From: "Becker (ELZET80)" <Becker () elzet80 de>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 10:27:44 +0100

Hi Guy,

> So by "tracer" do you mean that it actually dissects and displays packets, or do you mean it captures packets and feeds them to Wireshark or some other program to dissect?

It's an USB device that captures packets on the bus and feeds it to Wireshark as a byte array starting with the (SDLC) address and ending with FCS.
Beginning and endflag are not included and bit stuffing is removed.

> So what's a "raw SDLC frame"? An SNA packet using SDLC as the link-layer?

Right now there is no way (afaik) to use plain SDLC in Wireshark without looking at the payload.

A "raw" frame is a SDLC frame that is recorded by the controller on OSI layer 1 and should be interpreted as SDLC (OSI layer 2).

We don't know the payload used in the SDLC encapsulation as there is no payload id field in SDLC to identify the protocol of the content. The user needs to know what the content is (e.g. BITBUS) and select the right dissector.

> So are these BITBUS packets, SNA packets, or both?
>
> ("SDLC" isn't "any protocol with an address field and an SDLC-like control field"; that definition would include HDLC, LAPB, LAPD, BITBUS, etc..)

It depends on the used system what protocol is used inside the SDLC encapsulation. Some systems run only a single protocol and some run different protocols depending on e.g. source/destination address. The user has to decide how to dissect the content of the SDLC frame with an external dissector.

We just want to display SDLC frames like Ethernet frames without any automatic protocol dissection.

Best regards
Freundliche Grüße

Paul Becker

ELZET 80 Mikrocomputer GmbH & Co. KG
Theaterplatz 9
D-52062 Aachen
Germany

Tel. +49-241-4016580
Fax +49-241-48480
email: becker () elzet80 de
Please visit our web-site at http://www.elzet80.com

ELZET
=8 0=
IIIII

USt.Id. : DE 117 662 038
Handelsregister Aachen Abt. A, Nr. 8044
Komplementär & Geschäftsführung:
Giesler & Danne Bet. u. Verw. GmbH
Handelsregister Aachen Abt. B, Nr. 17317
Geschäftsführer Walter L. Giesler