tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: openssl 1.1 changes required for tcpdump: what minimum openssl?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 21:18:29 -0700

On Jun 22, 2016, at 3:24 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

It looks like openssl has obsoleted the EVP_CIPHER_CTX type in 1.1.x.
While 1.1 isn't shipping widely yet, I'd rather be ready.
I have looked through openssl to see if we can replace it easily,
and if the replacement will work in 1.0.x and the 0.9.x versions still
seem to be out there.  The question is therefore:

 Can we set a minimum version of openssl in order to get decoding
 of ESP?
 Does anyone have any suitable openssl version macros for configure.in?

b1f305da3ddf635522bdcd6c88918beaea330968 should fix this.

We check for EVP_CIPHER_CTX_new() and, if we don't have it, we define our own versions of it and EVP_CIPHER_CTX_free(),
and we use those to allocate and free an EVP_CIPHER_CTX.

This should (modulo malloc() failing) work as well with pre-1.1.x versions as the previous version did, as the
initialization and teardown of the EVP_CIPHER_CTX that was done inline is now done in EVP_CIPHER_CTX_new() and
EVP_CIPHER_CTX_free(), respectively.