tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Support for "-T domain"

From: Noah <noah.robin () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 12:22:09 -0500

No problem; would such a patch be eligible for backport to 4.7?

Regards,

Noah

On Dec 3, 2015, at 8:59 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

Noah <noah.robin () gmail com> wrote:
I've written a small patch against HEAD which adds support for decoding
DNS traffic on nonstandard ports; useful for those of us who run DNS
serves behind VIPs, for instance. I haven't written any tests as yet,
however there aren't any DNS tests set up yet anyway. Happy to write
some if that would speed the inclusion of the update. I've committed
the patch to my fork of tcpdump on github, run tests, etc.  How should
I proceed from here, just issue the pull request?

Yes, but we'll want to see some tests.
That we haven't any tests shouldn't stop you: tcpdump -w some packets that
you don't mind sharing, on both port 53 and a not port 53.  Add a list to
tests/TESTLIST, without the -T domain, and you should of course, not see the
non-port-53 decoded, and a line *with* -T domain, and you should see
the not-port-53 packets decoded.

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [