tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] print-zeromq.c

From: François-Xavier Le Bail <fx.lebail () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 04:20:34 -0800 (PST)

[resend lost message]

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>

On Mar 4, 2014, at 5:43 AM, François-Xavier Le Bail <fx.lebail () yahoo com>
wrote:

 Is it not better to add const in the propotype ?

In what cases, if any, are parameters that are const (rather than non-const
parameters that point to a const object) useful?

Even if doing that does not add anything to the interface, I think it can be
safer as it signals intent within the function: the parameter is read-only.

C is pass-by-value, so it's not as if the caller will see any changes the
callee makes - i.e., the caller has no reason to care.

Yes, I know that.
The usefulness is not for the caller but in the callee to indicates that
internally, the function does not modify the parameter.

So declaring an argument as const amounts to a guarantee that the particular
variable in question will, throughout the function, have the value that was
passed in, so that somebody reading the code will know that it's not being
manipulated throughout the function and doesn't have to, in the case of
packet dissectors, think "wait, is this the length we were handed, or is it
the length of the part of the packet that we haven't yet dissected"?

Yes.