tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] print-zeromq.c

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 13:13:30 -0800

On Mar 4, 2014, at 5:43 AM, François-Xavier Le Bail <fx.lebail () yahoo com> wrote:

Is it not better to add const in the propotype ?

In what cases, if any, are parameters that are const (rather than non-const parameters that point to a const object)
useful?

C is pass-by-value, so it's not as if the caller will see any changes the callee makes - i.e., the caller has no reason
to care.

So declaring an argument as const amounts to a guarantee that the particular variable in question will, throughout the
function, have the value that was passed in, so that somebody reading the code will know that it's not being
manipulated throughout the function and doesn't have to, in the case of packet dissectors, think "wait, is this the
length we were handed, or is it the length of the part of the packet that we haven't yet dissected"?