tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How tcpdump determines the "dropped by kernel"?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:28:53 -0800

On Nov 25, 2013, at 11:01 AM, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer () ngtech co il> wrote:

I am running Linux on couple systems: Gentoo, Ubuntu 10.04+newers, CentOS.

What kernel version?

On the ubuntu that I am using now:
tcpdump version 4.4.0
libpcap version 1.4.0

On the CentOS it's the exact same version output:

If you're running on a system with a 3.2 or later kernel, then, if you use libpcap built from the current Git trunk, it
can use version 3 of the memory-mapped capture mechanism (TPACKET_V3), which makes more efficient use of the capture
mechanism's buffers than do earlier versions of that mechanism (TPACKET_V1 and TPACKET_V2), resulting in fewer packet
drops.

So In a case there is not much ram limitation for the machine I would thing that an option to use more ram for these
buffers can be an option.

Yes - that's what the -B flag to tcpdump lets you do.  (The default is 2MB on Linux.)