tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How tcpdump determines the "dropped by kernel"?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer () ngtech co il>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:13:48 +0200

Hey,

Yes in high load it can cause some troubles.
The solution I could think about was a dedicated machine that would receive all traffic from the replication(HUB-like) port while the machine Ethernet is on promiscuous mode which will then capture all traffic from the network.

I do not know exactly how much resources it would take when there is an option for let say "pin" tcpdump to one or two cores while letting all the others handle the rest of the traffic. For a very high load I would need a big buffer or maybe a frame-buffer card that will help to reduce the load on the kernel while allowing less packet drops.

Eliezer