tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: autoconf 2.61 versus 2.68

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:48:45 -0700

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
If we want to ensure that the configuration scripts we ship are generated by a
particular version of autoconf, we should remove configure from the repository,
add an autogen.sh script to re-generate the configure file, and ensure that
it's run as part of the release-tarball building process.

Similar way:
- remove configure and config.h.in from repository,
- change AC_PREREQ Macro in configure.in, for example : AC_PREREQ(2.68),
- run "autoreconf"as part of the release-tarball building process.

The only difference there is the AC_PREREQ() macro and hardwiring "autoreconf" as the "remake the configure script"
process.

The latter is probably OK if we're not going to use automake.

The former requires developers who work from Git to have that autoconf 2.68 or later.  I'm not sure we need to require
2.68, even if it happens to be the version on the machine that builds the release tarballs.  AC_PREREQ() should specify
the minimum number known to build the current version of configure.in (so that somebody who doesn't have that version
gets a "sorry, you need autoconf X.YY or later" error rather than some weird error).