tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap and struct canusb_t, src: failure on debian/ubuntu

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 14:53:48 -0700

On Sep 3, 2012, at 2:35 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

okay, so as I understand it, basically you have keeping the name that
was in the library in a structure in lib cap.

No, the name was never in a library; "struct canusb_t" is a structure in the pcap-canusb-linux.c module.  The field was
removed, but was needed; Jakub's patch put in another field to hold the relevant part of the device name.  (Perhaps all
that's really needed is the numerical value of the field, if there's a libusb call to get the numerical value of the
property in question.)

looks like all the tests now fail with:

reading from file spb.pcap, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet)
tcpdump: direction is not supported on save files

Not on my machine, with a recent "git pull"ed version of the libpcap and tcpdump trunks and 1.3/4.3 branches.

In the libpcap trunk, the only message I can find like that is "Setting direction is not supported on save files",
which is returned for a pcap_setdirection() call if you're reading from a savefile.  I can't find any such message in
the tcpdump trunk, nor can I find any calls to pcap_setdirection() there either, so I'm not sure where that message is
coming from; try doing a "make clean" in the libpcap directory and rebuild both libpcap and tcpdump (the internal
layout of the pcap_t structure changed, and perhaps there was no .devel file to cause dependencies to be generated and
not all files that included pcap-int.h got rebuilt, so that perhaps when tcpdump was calling something other than
pcap_setdirection() the savefile setdirection function was being called).