tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap and PF_RING

From: Jim Lloyd <jim () silvertailsystems com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:45:05 -0700

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Jakub Zawadzki
<darkjames-ws () darkjames pl>wrote:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:10:02AM -0700, Jim Lloyd wrote:
I'm confused as to what is required for libpcap to use PF_RING. Most of
the
hits I have seen while searching for this are ancient and refer to
libpcap
0.8. Can anyone please provide a link or summarize what must be done for
libpcap to use PF_RING on a relatively modern Linux x86_64 system. I am
in
particular interested in RHEL5/6.

https://svn.ntop.org/svn/ntop/trunk/PF_RING/doc/UsersGuide.pdf
page 12-16

Thanks. I could have sworn that PF_RING support was integrated into the
mainline libpcap sources sometime in the last couple 2-3 years. But it
appears now that it's still necessary to use a patched version of libpcap,
and that the patch is not maintained by the core libpcap developers. Is
that correct?