tcpdump mailing list archives

Making own probe request sniffer, asking 802.11 and BPF in Pcap library.

From: Yohannes Affandy Siregar <mr.yohannes () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:11:37 +0700

Hi there..

I'm working to make my own sniffer based on Pcap library. I've followed
instructions from all documentations I found from www.tcpdump.org but none
of these working on 802.11 device. I want to make a probe request sniffer
based on Pcap library. Why do I do this? It's my last project in
university.

I'm curios about the BPF. Is there any BPF to filter probe request or
management frame of 802.11 packet over a wireless network. If yes, what is
the filter expression? If no, how can I make one? I just need to scan all
probe requests I found in a network and print out the MAC address of the
source.

Thank you.

--
Yours Sincerely,