tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT for MPEG2-TS

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:58:20 -0800

On Jan 29, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Guy Martin wrote:

I've been working with protocols encapsulated into MPEG2-TS but
I can't save the raw stream straight into a pcap file.
Those protocols include DOCSIS (cable modem) and DSM-CC (IP packets
into DVB streams).

Unless I'm mistaken, there is currently no DLT_ value for MPEG2-TS.

So that's "MPEG-2 Transport Stream" as in H.222.0 (which, unfortunately, is also an ISO standard, so you have to pay
money for it...)?

If so, would each packet in the file be a "transport packet", in the form as shown in Table 2-2 of section 2.4.3.2
"Transport Stream packet layer" of H.222.0 (2006-05)?

If so, is the sync byte the first byte, or is the 16-bit field containing the transport_error_indicator,
payload_unit_start_indicator, transport_priority, and PID at the beginning of the packet in the file?  (Presumably in
big-endian order, as "uimsbf" means "unsigned integer, most-significant bit first".)-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.