tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [libpcap][patch] appending to a capture

From: Sam Roberts <vieuxtech () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:48:10 -0700

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:
Yeah, I'd rather that we have a good set of pcap manipulation tools.
Maybe we just need better pointers to mergecap and editcap?

I don't see extensions to libpcap and a good set of tools as an either/or thing.

I'd be pretty happy to see the capabilities of tools such as mergecap,
editcap, and tcpslice presented as C callable APIs.

Its possible to shell out to do pcap manipulations, but its often more
useful to bind C APIs into your working language, allowing you to
combine effects in interesting ways that might not be forseen by the
command line tools.

If not in libpcap, maybe libcaptool?

Cheers,
Sam