tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: reconstruct HTTP requests in custom sniffer

From: rixed () happyleptic org
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 12:32:05 +0100

-[ Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 04:42:40PM +0900, Andrej van der Zee ]----
Hi Cedric,

Looks very similar to :

http://github.com/securactive/junkie

Is the intention of junkie to follow TCP streams and reassemble complete
HTTP requests/responses from the packets? How far is this implemented?

TCP reordering, IP fragmentation and buffering of stream is not present on github
yet but is implemented and is being reviewed. I can push on github if you want to
have a look. Concerning HTTP, for now we only fetch hostname and URL but were
asked to capture the whole request including POST parameters so this is going
to be done in a way or another.

Though, in some of
our side-projects we need to follow TCP streams with truncated packets and
libnids is not designed for this.

Junkie tolerate a certain amount of truncation, but any complex parser will
certainly fail in this situation.

It would be nice to use one solution for
all our projects, and maybe junkie could solve this.

Honestly I can't recommend one over the other. Junkie has certainly more bugs
since it's younger, but in other hand it's backed by a company so you have
at least 1 coder full time on it so the bugs can disapear pretty fast :-)

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.