tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: ./configure failure, .log attached

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 02:12:21 -0800

On Jan 27, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

It's failing because one of the checks it's doing is assuming that an OS with IPv6 support has a <netinet6/in6.h>
header file, but your version of Ubuntu - and possibly other Linux distributions - don't.

The Single UNIX Specification seems to imply that you include <netinet/in.h> to get address etc. definitions for
IPv6; it doesn't mention <netinet6/in6.h>.  The "Advanced Sockets API for IPv6" RFCs (RFC 2292 and RFC 3542) don't
mention <netinet6/in6.h>, either - they mention <netinet/in.h> and <netinet6/ip6.h>.  Thus, I don't think you could
argue that the lack of <netinet6/in6.h> is a bug; the configure script should be changed not to assume it's there on
IPv6-capable systems.

I don't see anything obvious in tcpdump that *cares* whether <resolv.h> defines res_state_ext or whether it has an
"nsort" member, so, unless somebody can give a good reason why the "checking for res_state_ext" or "checking for
nsort in res_state" checks need to be done, I will remove them.

OK, I removed them; try it with the current contents of the trunk or 4.1 branch.-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.