tcpdump mailing list archives

Possible to use libpcap without root privileges?

From: <markus74 () bredband net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:42:42 +0100

Hi!

Is it possible to use libpcap without root privileges?

In
our case, we are testing an IP-stack in a "simulated" environment, this
means the IP-stack-program has a "special" socket interface where we
send and receive IP-packets from.

For example:The traffic generator
runs on 127.0.0.1:1234 (we will probably use scapy or netexpect as
traffic generator and analyzer)And the simulated IP-stack program runs
on the same machine on 127.0.0.1:4321

The IP-packets go directly
between the traffic generator process and the IP-stack-process withouth
using the NIC. Since the NIC is not used in this scenario libpcap
shouldn't need root privileges, correct?

Brs,Markus-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.