tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: request for a DLT value for wireshark DVB-CI

From: Martin Kaiser <lists () kaiser cx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:55:35 +0100

Hello Guy,

Thus wrote Guy Harris (guy () alum mit edu):

On Feb 27, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

Yes, it does, thanks.  Should I just cite that page as a reference
in the comment I put into pcap/bpf.h for the DLT value?-

yes, please refer to that page. I'll keep it up to date.

And I *especially* thank you for giving such a detailed specification!
Detailed specifications such as that

      1) make it easier to write code to analyze packets for a given
      link-layer type;

      2) make it easier to verify that code and make changes to it;

      3) make it harder for somebody to mistakenly generate incorrect
      packets in that format (and then plead for heuristics in code that
      reads packets in that format to detect their incorrect packets and
      handle them).

There's good documentation and examples (like radiotap) to push people
in the right direction, this helps a lot.

Best regards,

   Martin
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.